Sunday, February 6, 2011

Dance, Magic. Dance.

I just wrapped up the first weekend with Collaboraction out at Millenium Park's ice rink. As David Bowie. And we have discovered that, although many 16 year old girls don't know anything about David Bowie, they appreciate his, um, flare - probably in part thanks to Gaga. speaking of the Lady in Meat...

Through the month of February on Friday and Saturday nights, 5 of us can be seen in Millenium Park ice 'dancing' to various themes. You just missed '80's' weekend; however 'Valentines', 'Disco' and 'Lady Gaga' weekends are still to come. Yes, a weekend of ice skating dedicated to Lady Gaga. No, I don't know what that will entail...meat jackets on ice, maybe?


Admittedly, dancing on ice is not my most graceful of moments and the discovery of yet more underused leg muscles has me reminded of rehearsals for the cruise ships a few years back (the days of yore). Despite the weeks of callousing and muscle spasms, my time at sea was incredible. Sure it helped that I was cruising the beaches of the Caribbean, but dancing every day didnt hurt either. There's something to be said for the incredibly cathartic effects of dancing. When we stray from Life's rhythm, dancing can put us back on track - give us our groove back, so to speak.

I am inspired by this. I wonder what would happen if one person just started dancing, 'out of place' like mid-day in a city square. Would others join in? Or just watch? My assumption is mostly the latter, but I feel like the former could happen plenty if the music was catchy enough, and loud enough. How would this change if it were a group dancing, instead of the individual? Just ask [this guy]. Obviously booze n drugs (and warm weather) help liberate the dancer in us all, but I think he is on to something.

Til that warm weather shows up, I guess we're stuck with ice dancing. At least I am, and if you're feeling stagnant you can come join David Bowie and Meat Jackets on Ice!

Be well, spread Love.

I love the 80's : Bowie & Jagger Dancing in the Street.

1 comment:

  1. I have always danced in the middle of anywhere because I can't help myself... Mostly people think I'm crazy ~ but we are what we think, so... ;-)
    I just close my eyes and everything disappears and I can melt into the music as a soul even though my body does the dancing.

    ReplyDelete